I have a fun little project to share that I realized recently that I never shared.
Way back in January for CHA I made a crown for the super fun and always so jovial Ted Cutts (Mr. Stampers Anonymous). It was part of a joke that started on Twitter during Tim's 12 Tags of Christmas. We (me, Mario, Joy, and Chelle) decided that Ted needed a crown and be named the King of the 40404 (Twitter talk for number that tweets come to your phone in the form of text messages). With lots of love and giggles, I made a crown for Ted and gave it to him at CHA.
I made Ted's crown out of grungepaper that I die cut using the Gadget Gears and Ornate On the Edge dies.
I used gold and silver Adirondack paint dabbers to paint the grunge paper. I applied it in a cross hatch pattern so that it would look like brushed metal. I added a bit of stamping with the Royal Script stamp set using Jet Black Archival ink. (You can't give Mr. Stampers Anonymous a project without some of his stamps on them, can you?) After sewing sections together to create a round shape, I added sections of die cut and torn grungepaper to the top and bottom edges.
I to hide some seams and add some interest, I added strips of Film Strip Ribbon randomly around the crown. I topped the film strip with strips of adhesive foil tape in differnt metalic colors. On top of the foil, I added a Washer and a Long Reach Fastener. I thought the combination of the washers and fasteners looked like studs and added to the industrial look of the crown.
To embellish the front of the crown, I added several layers of die cut grungepaper gears that were painted with the metallic paint dappers.
In between the layers of grungepaper gears I tucked in metal Idea-ology Sprocket Gears.
At the center of the gear cluster I added a grungeboard crown shape from the Grungeboard Elements pack. I painted the crown gold and then added clear embossing powder to give is a slightly shiny finish to make it stand out. I felt that every crown must have jewels, so I added three Swarovski Crystals to the small crown shape. I pierced holes along the sides of the crystals and added wire wrapping to hold them securely in place.
To embellish the front below the number I added the numbers 40404 to make reference to Twitter.
To color the silver numbers, I first applied a coat of black paint using a black paint dabber. After it dried, I added a bit of silver. Once the silver paint was dry, I applied gold paint dabber. When all of the paint was completely dry, I applied clear embossing ink and clear embossing powder. Heating the powder to melt sometimes causes the paint underneath to bubble and separate a bit. I love the look it creates.
I also painted and embossed the brads for the numbers to match as well.
Finally, I lined the inside of the crown with Sticky Back Canvas to cover all of the brad prongs.
At the show, I waited until Ted was away and left it on his demo table along with some Slo Poke candies. Ted is a notoriously slow tweeter so I thought the candy was a nice finish.