I hope you have been visiting Ranger Ink's blog this week to see all of the amazing inspiration using for craft pumpkins in Ranger's Great Pumpkin Challenge. I have been about to bust keeping mine to myself! I loved how it turned out and wanted to share so badly! It is up on the Ranger blog today. I thought I would share some additional images and details here.
The participating designers started out with craft pumpkins and each transformed theirs into a work of art!
As always, if you want a really big look, click on the photo for a larger pop-up version. . .
For my pumpkin, I started out by decoupaging strips and pieces of Tim Holtz's new District Market Terminology Tissue Wrap onto the pumpkin using Cludine Hellmuth Studio Matte Multi Medium. While the decoupage was still wet, I used an embossing stylus to work the paper down into the grooves of the pumpkin. I let the decoupage overnight.
Once the pumpkin was dry, I sanded any places where the paper had large folds or wrinkles. After sanding, I used an ink blending tool to add Distress inks in browns, green, and orange onto the paper.
I used a heat tool to dry the inks. Next I sprayed the entire surface with Biscotti Perfect Pearls Mist. I misted the stem area with Forever Green Perfect Pearls Mist. I let the green mist sit for a bit in puddles. Combined with the inks applied to the pumpkin already, I got a wonderful vibrant green around the stem. After I let it soak in a bit, I again dried the pumpkin with my heat tool.
I really wanted to go for a frosty look on the pumpkin so I applied Clear Rock Candy Distress Crackle Paint to the top of the pumpkin. I applied it so generously in fact that in a few places it dripped down the pumpkin. I love the look so I left the drips. I love the way they picked up color and made the drips look like "melting frost".
For leaves, I used a pumpkin leaf pattern I found online to cut four leaves from wool felt. I stamped the felt with the Hero Arts Basic Grey Flower Dot Pattern stamp and Coffee Archival ink. I used my heat tool to set the ink before handling it. I sandwiched floral wire between two layers of leaves and sewed them together. (For more details on making stamped felt leaves, check out my Stamped Felt Leaves tutorial.) I applied Stardust Stickles with my finger to the edges of the leaves and misted them with Biscotti Perfect Pearls mist to add frost and shimmer.
To finish off the pumpkin, I added vines with brown and green floral wire, streaming crinkled Trimmings ribbon (sorry, I dyed this a while back and don't remember which Distress Stains I used), and a tag that was covered and embellished with papers from the Tim Holtz Season Paper Stash and an Idea-ology Mini Paper Clip.