Origins is a newer line from BasicGrey that debuted in November. Since it hasn't been to a show yet, I got the opportunity to use it in a show sample as well. I really loved the mix of greens and yellows in this line. I started working on this project with no real direction other than knowing I wanted to incorporate the lace paper in some way. I ended up with something that I think is full of cool details.
This is a wooden key holder cabinet salvaged from the clearance aisle at Michaels. I should have taken a before photo to give you an idea of what it was and how you could take something similar and make a fun display case from it.
For a handle to open the door, I combined a chipboard element with some old school BG fibers and and vintage key.
Both the top and bottom surfaces got a new face as well as the front and sides. I cut the bottom piece to fit so that the pattern is continuous as it goes around the corner to the side of the box.
I wanted to create something dimensional with the chip butterfly elements so I used the negative space of the chipboard sheet after they were punched out as a template for making matching butterflies out of vellum.
I hope that you can begin to see here that the lace paper is actually floating out from the back of the box and that there is another pattern of paper in the back of the box showing through.
What I did to create that was to cut a heavy clear piece of acrylic (from Clear Scraps) to fit the inside of the box. I applied Therm O Web's Mounting Adhesive to the front of the acrylic and then laid the lace paper in place. I stacked two adhesive foam squares together and placed those on the back of the acrylic in areas where the lace had big patterns. After the acrylic/lace paper piece was in place inside the box, I poured microbeads all over it. Since Mounting Adhesive is like sheets of double sided tape and since it was sandwiched in between the paper lace and acrylic, that meant all of the openings of the lace had exposed adhesive. The beads stuck to the exposed adhesive wherever I poured them. I pressed on them a little to make sure they stuck good. Some fell away, but most stayed leaving a very random effect.
For the flowers, I layered the dimensional sticker elements on the chipboard flowers and placed them with adhesive foam squares.
In bright sunlight you can see a little more of the randomness of the microbeads and the extra sparkle they add.
This project brings to close my week long run of BasicGrey show pieces. I had such a good time creating these, it makes me wish for trade shows more often than just twice a year!